District Profile

East Garo Hill District - Profile

 

East Garo Hills District - Introduction

East Garo Hills District was upgraded from a sub-division to a full fledged district in 1976, after the erstwhile Garo Hills District was reorganised with a view to bring the administration closer to the people. In 2012 East Garo Hills District was further reorganised to form a new district, the North Garo Hills District, out of the erstwhile Resubelpara Civil Sub-Division. The District is bounded by South Garo Hills on the south, West Garo Hills on the west, West Khasi Hills on the East and North Garo Hills on the north.

 

 

The new headquarter-complex is a neatly planned township. It has been christened as Williamnagar after Captain Williamson A. Sangma, the first Chief Minister of the State of Meghalaya. Williamnagar now has all the amenities of a modern town and is the largest growth centres in Garo Hills, next to Tura.

District at a Glance

District Name East Garo Hills
District Headquarter Williamnagar
Area (approx.) Total - 1517.00 sq. kms.
Location lies between
25.24ºN & 26.10ºN Latitude
and 90ºE & 91.3ºE Longitude
Population
(as per 2011 Census)
Total - 1,45,798
Male - 74,352
Female - 71,446
Sex Ratio
(as per 2011 Census)
961 females/1000 males
Urban Local Body 1 Urban Local Body
C&RD Blocks 3 C&RD Blocks
Revenue Villages 492 Revenue Villages
Principal Languages Garo, Hindi & English
Official Language English

 

The site is still a work in progress, please bear with us. Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.